Donald Trump Confirms US Was Ready To Attack Iran

0
252

New Delhi: US President Donald Trump confirmed Friday that his country’s military was ready to attack Iran after Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps shot down an American drone on Thursday. The US was “cocked & loaded to retaliate” last night, Trump said in a tweet, adding that he stopped the strike since it would have led to a disproportionate number of casualties.

Trump said he asked his military advisors how many people would die in a US retaliatory action on Iran. “150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone,” Donald Trump said.

With his tweets, Trump confirmed a US media report from earlier today that said the US had prepared to attack Iran but held off at the last moment.

Tensions between Tehran and Washington have been rising since last year when Donald Trump pulled the US out of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, informally known as the Iran nuclear deal.

Under the deal, signed between Iran, China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States, Germany and the European Union, Iran was offered financial assistance and a reprieve from earlier economic sanctions.

In return, Iran agreed to restrict its nuclear power programme and open it up for international scrutiny. The goal of the deal was to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.