Dhaka Terror Victim Tarishi Jain’s Body Reaches India


New Delhi: The body of 19-year-old Indian girl, Tarishi Jain who died in the Dhaka terror attacks on July 01 has arrived at the IGI International sirport.

The last rites of Tarishi Jain will take place in Gurgaon. Tarishi’s father Sanjeev Jain, mother Tulika and brother Sanchit will accompany the body for the last rites.

- Advertisement -

“Her mortal remains will arrive at IGI airport in a Jet airways flight at 12:10 pm. After custom formalities, we will keep the body at the Community Centre, Arjun Marg, DLF, Phase-1 for rituals. The last rites will be performed at Shiv Murti Cremation ground near IFFCO Chowk in Gurgaon’s Sector 29 at 5:30 pm,” said Rajeev Jain, Tarishi’s uncle.

For the last rites, the Jain family requested the Union government to have Tarishi’s remains flown to Agra, which is 50 kilometres from their native place Firozabad (Uttar Pradesh). However, logistics became an issue.

“It will not be easy to take her body by road to Firozabad. So we decided to perform last rites in Gurgaon where her father has a flat in Sector 32,” Rajeev said.

External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj had earlier said Tarishi’s body will be taken to Delhi by plane on Monday. “This is with concurrence of Tarishi’s father,” she added. “It is a case of brutal killing — an unnatural death. Some legal procedure has (to) be completed,” the minister said on Twitter.

Swaraj said the country was with the family in this hour of grief. Tarishi, a student at UC Berkeley, was among the 20 foreign nationals who were butchered by militants inside the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka’s diplomatic zone. Joint forces launched an assault on Saturday morning, killing six of the attackers and capturing one alive, ending Bangladesh’s worst terror attack.

Tarishi was on a holiday in Dhaka where her father runs a garment business.

Though he hailed from Uttar Pradesh, Sanjeev Jain didn’t shift to India as he was attached to his workers at the factory, who were mostly Muslim.

For the past one year, his relatives had been persuading him to return to India in the wake of terror spreading through Bangladesh.

“Sanjeev bhaiyya was planning to return to India for the last one year. We also wished that the entire family stays together. But it was his affection for the staff, mostly Muslims, which made him postpone his plans,” said Ajeet Jain, Sanjeev’s brother, with tears in his eyes.

The attack, responsibility for which was claimed by Islamic State, marks a major escalation in a campaign by militants over the past 18 months that had targeted mostly individuals advocating a secular or liberal lifestyle in the Muslim-majority country.

However, the Bangladesh government has time and again denied presence of the dreaded terrorist group in the country. On Sunday, police claimed the terrorists belonged to the banned domestic group Jamaat-ul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).