Dhaka: Police on Thurday claimed arrest of four militants of the banned Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) who allegedly supplied arms and bomb materials for Gulshan attack.
DMP’s counter terrorism unit arrested Abu Taher, 37, Mizanur Rahman, 34, Selim Mia, 45, and Taufiqul Islam alias doctor Taufique, 32, from Darussalam area last night.
Mizanur Rahman alias Chhoto Mizan alias Tara collected the arms and grenades which had been used in the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka’s diplomatic zone Gulshan, from the arrestees and took the materials to Gulshan attack masterminds Tamim Chowdhury amd Marzan, Dhaka Metropolitan Police said in its news website.
Mizan was one of the main persons for collecting arms and explosives and in-charge of Chapainawabganj chapter of the militant outfit, police said.
Materials including 787 detonators for making grenades and a 9mm foreign pistol were seized from their possession.
All four of the arrestees are active members of the banned militant outfit JMB and involved in arms and explosives smuggling on the border in Shibganj in Chapainawabganj, police said based on information obtained in a primary interrogation.
Law enforcers suspect they came to Dhaka with the detonators and arms following the order of JMB’s new leadership to carry out subversive activities.
They used to smuggle major components for making grenades like detonators and explosive gels, and firearms from the border area.
The 20 hostages were brutally murdered during the siege before the commandoes stormed the popular hangout in Dhaka’s diplomatic zone in the morning of July 2.
Thirteen hostages were rescued while six of the gunmen, who attacked the upscale eatery on Road 79 Friday night, were killed in the 50-minute army-led joint forces operation codenamed “Operation Thunderbolt”.
The hostage crisis, the first-ever such incident in the country, began around 8:30pm after the attackers carrying firearms, bombs and swords barged into the building.
Two police officials were killed and dozens others injured on Friday night when law enforcers in groups attempted to close in on.
Global terror outfit Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack through its Amaq news agency, according to the US-based SITE Intelligence Group.