Kolkata: A 8 year old boy died on Sunday at a private hospital in the E.M. Bypass due to dengue.
Bibaswan Guhathakurata, the 8 year old child, was suffering from high fever since last Monday. He was admitted to the hospital last night as the fever worsened.
Unfortunately, Bibaswan died today. Bibaswan, student of Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan, was a resident of Salt Lake’s BD Block.
Dengue fever is caused by one of four different but related viruses. It is spread by the bite of mosquitoes, most commonly the mosquito Aedes aegypti, which is found in tropic and subtropic regions.
Treatment of acute dengue is supportive, using either oral or intravenous rehydration for mild or moderate disease and possible blood transfusions for more severe cases. Rates of infection have increased dramatically over the last 50 years with approximate 50—100 million people being infected yearly. The disease has become global and is currently endemic in more than 110 countries with 2.5 billion people living in areas where it is prevalent.