Mumbai: A day after Dahi Handi celebrations, Mumbai police on Friday said they had registered 21 cases for violation of the Supreme Court’s order which restricted the height of human pyramids and prohibited participation of minors in the event.
“A total of 21 offences have been registered in Mumbai against organisers for violating the court order. However, no arrests have been made,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Ashok Dudhe.
In its order on August 17, the apex court had barred those below 18 years of age from participating in the human pyramids which are the main attraction of Janmashtami festival in Maharashtra. It also capped the height of the pyramid at 20 feet. The objective behind the order was to make the revelry less risky as every year, scores of youngsters get injured after falling while forming the pyramids, which sometimes rise as high as 9-tier. The order, however, triggered a sharp protest from Shiv Sena and MNS.
In places such as Dadar, some Dahi Handi groups laid down on the ground and created ‘sleeping pyramids’ higher than 20-feet. One of the mandals (Dahi Handi groups) used a ladder to break the ‘handi’ and displayed a black flag against the SC order. Over 3,000 mandals had organised Dahi Handi events across Mumbai and adjoining areas. Police video recorded the pyramids to check if there had been violation of the Supreme Court’s order. Cases were registered after watching the video footage, the DCP said.
In neighbouring Thane, cases have been registered against 16 mandals for flouting the SC order.