Bhubaneswar: One woman was killed and three of her family members were injured when a cooking gas cylinder burst at a government quarters in Bhubaneswar today, the police said.
The incident took place at the residence of one Chandramani Nayak, an employee of Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT), at around noon. The deceased was the wife of Mr Nayak whiles his son-in-law and a neighbour sustained critical burn injuries.
Mr Nayak also sustained injuries and they were admitted to a private hospital. Their nine-year-old daughter, who escaped the accident narrowly, said she ran away from the room after seeing fire in the kitchen room.
The fire brigade officials rescued two girls from the house, said TK Babu, assistant fire officer, Bhubaneswar. The fire brigade team took one hour to douse the flames. They suspect that the fire might have caught by a leak in the cylinder.