Curfew Lifted From Srinagar, Death Toll Climbs To 73


Update: A youth was killed on Tuesday in fresh clashes between protestors and security forces in Anantnag district, taking the death toll in the ongoing unrest in Kashmir to 73 even as normal life remained disrupted for the 60th consecutive day. Naseer Ahmad Mir was killed in the security forces’ action to chase away a large number of protestors in Seer Hamdan area of south Kashmir, even as several other persons including a woman sustained injuries, a police official said. He said the injured woman has been referred to a hospital here in a critical condition.

Srinagar: Curfew was on Tuesday lifted from entire Srinagar city following improvement in the situation even as the death toll in the clashes between security forces and protestors climbed to 72 with a youth succumbing to injuries.

Musaib Nagoo, who was injured during clashes between protestors and security forces on Sunday in Sopore town of Baramulla district, succumbed to injuries at a hospital here last night, a police official said. With this death, the toll in the ongoing unrest has reached to 72 while more than 10,000 others have been injured.

Although authorities lifted curfew from the seven police station areas of the city after two days, normal activities remained suspended due to a separatist sponsored strike. Curfew has been lifted from entire Srinagar city and so no area in Kashmir is under curfew today, a police spokesman said.

He said curfew was lifted following improvement in the situation. The spokesman, however, said restrictions on the assembly of people would remain in forces across the Valley to maintain law and order. Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps continued to remain shut during day time.They only open in the evening when the separatists have announced relaxation in the strike for some days of the week.

Schools, colleges and other educational institutions also continued to remain closed. However, the attendance in government offices and banks has showed signs of improvement since the past few days, officials said.

Public transport continued to be off the roads. The separatists, who are spearheading the ongoing agitation, have extended the shutdown programme till September 8.

As part of their weekly protest programme, they have called for peaceful protests by women today, while announcing a 12-hour relaxation in the strike from 6 PM today.