CMRI Hospital Vandalism: 3 Arrested


Kolkata: 3 people have been arrested on Tuesday involved in carrying out the vandalism at CMRI Hospital in South Kolkata on Wednesday.

3 arrested in CMRI Hospital vandalism case wherein 16-year-old’s relatives ransacked the hospital for alleged negligent treatment. Relatives ransacked CMRI hospital in south Kolkata after a 16-year old Saika Praveen died allegedly due to negligence in treatment. After massive search operations overnight, they were arrested from Ekbalpur.

Raids are still on for the lookout of other accused in this vandalism case. The details of those arrested are Rakesh Dhanuk (25), Jiauddin Sk (26) and Sk Sony (22). were arrested from their respective residences in Khidirpore area of the city late last night during raids, a senior official of Kolkata Police said this morning.

“The three persons have been arrested after going through CCTV footages we got from the hospital authorities.

They have been spotted ransacking the hospital premises during yesterday’s violence. We are looking for others also,” the officer said.

A nearly 100 strong mob on Wednesday vandalised a private hospital here and beat up a number of staff following the death of a patient.

“The CMRI Hospital at Ekbalpore in the south-western part of the city was vandalised this morning and some staff beaten up by a mob,” a senior Kolkata Police official said.

The mob resorted to the violence alleging negligence on the part of the hospital in the treatment of a girl patient admitted yesterday.

The girl died at the hospital this morning following which a mob from the nearby Babubazar area entered the CMRI premises and broke glass panes, computers and other materials at the reception and billing office, the official said.

The mob also resorted to a road blockade on Diamond Harbour Road at Ekbalpore crossing during morning rush hours leading to harassment of office-goers and other people.

A large contingent of police led by senior officers persuaded the agitators to lift the blockade and brought the situation under control.

Police forces were also deployed in the hospital premises to ensure there was no further vandalism.

Relatives of patients admitted at the hospital and at the out-patients department fled the premises owing to the vandalism.