New Delhi: China yet again blocked the US-backed move to sanction Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar at the United Nations, India said on Thursday that it was “deeply disappointed” with China’s decision.The veto will create new friction with India, which has been pressing for sanctions that would freeze Masood Azhar’s assets and ban international travel from Pakistan, where he lives.
India, backed by the United States, France and UK, has been trying to get Masood Azhar added to a UN list of groups with ties to Al Qaeda. His Jaish-e-Mohammed is responsible for a series of deadly attacks in India including at the Uri military base in Kashmir last year in which 17 security personnel were killed.
China, which is a member of the UN Security Council with the right to veto, said today it has rejected the move as “there is no consensus” on Masood Azhar’s role in terror attacks in India. Such decisions must be based on cast-iron evidence, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said earlier this week.
Reacting to China’s move, New Delhi today said it “strongly believes that double standards will only undermine international community’s resolve to combat terrorism.” The wrangling over Masood Azhar, has become a major sticking point over the last two years between China and India.
Delhi believes Beijing is backing its long-time ally, Pakistan, on a matter that endangers India’s national security. Jaish-e-Mohammad has already been blacklisted by the 15-nation Security Council, but its chief has not.
Last year in March, China was the only member in the 15-nation UN Security Council to block India’s application against Masood Azhar.