New Delhi: The Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), Shri R. N. Choubey visited Terminal 1 D on 26.08.2015 and reviewed proposed action plan to address the issue of congestion at Terminal 1 D of Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), Delhi. During the review meeting, officers from CISF, BCAS and senior management of DIAL were present.
After 3 hour long deliberations, the following specific action plan alongwith timeline were specified:
• DIAL will increase the width of the terminal entry gate to allow deployment of two CISF personnel at each gate on the pattern of T3 instead of 1 CISF personnel deployed presently leading to long queues. DIAL shall complete this work by 30.09.2015 and CISF will increase their staff strength;
• Presently, Airlines are utilizing 58 check-in counters against the 96 available counters which is leading to longer queue. To ease out check-in congestion, airlines to utilize all available check-in counters;
• DIAL will start trials for self-bag drop machines by 01.10.2015;
• DIAL has increased number of x-ray machines from 16 to 18 and number of frisking booths from 32 to 36. To reduce the waiting time at the security screening, CISF will deploy additional manpower by 15.09.2015 at all x-ray machines and frisking booths;
• To facilitate speedy screening of hand baggage, DIAL will place the orders for specialised trays by 31.08.2015;
• To improve the passenger convenience at boarding gates, flap gates to be introduced by 07.10.2015;
• To improve passenger convenience at boarding gate area DIAL will increase boarding gate area from the current 1787 sqm to 3574 sqm. by 28.02.2016 and number of boarding gates from 15 to 20.
• Inter terminal transfer (T1C-T1D) on airside to be made operational by 15.09.2015. CISF to deploy additional manpower.
With the above measures congestion at Terminal 1D is expected to ease out. Secretary will review the progress after a month’s time. Secretary emphasized for better coordination among all stakeholders including government agencies to achieve the end goal of passenger friendly environment.