Bodh Gaya Blast Case: STF Arrests 1, Gets Police Custody


Bandel: A 57-year-old man arrested by Special Task Force of Kolkata Police from Bandel railway station on Monday morning, in connection with Bihar’s Bodh Gaya blast case this January.

He had helped Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) in procuring explosives used in the blast. He is identified as Hazibullah. Hazibullah had helped in procuring explosive that were used by JMB cadre in Bodh Gaya mines, which they had planted.

- Advertisement -

Hazibullah is arrested by STF under section IPC 120/B, 121, 121A, 123, 125, IPC 4 and 5 explosive Act from Bandel Railway Station ticket counter. He has been produced before the Bankshall Court on Monday and gets police custody till 24th June.

The 57-year-old man had allegedly helped Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) in procuring explosives used in the blast.

Earlier on June 1, a National Investigative Agency (NIA) Special Court awarded life imprisonment to all the five accused in connection with the same.

Umer Siddiqui, Azaharuddin Qureshi, Imtiyaz Ansari, Haider Ali, Mujibullah Ansari and a juvenile, all belonging to the Indian Mujahideen, were accused in the case. The blast took place when Buddhist spiritual leader Dalai Lama was in the temple town.

A low-intensity blast was reported at a kitchen set up at the Kaalchintan Ground in Gaya, causing panic among the devotees who had gathered to hear the Dalai Lama’s discourse. It took place shortly after the Dalai Lama completed his discourse and retired for the day at the Tibetan monastery.

Two more bombs were recovered from the pilgrimage centre. The two bombs, which turned out to be of high intensity, were deactivated two days later at a secluded spot by the bomb disposal squad of National Security Guard (NSG).

A day after a bomb exploded in Bihar’s Bodh Gaya, a team of National Investigation Agency (NIA) officials, including one SP and one explosives’ expert, arrived at Mahabodhi Temple to investigate the matter.

State security agencies dispatched a team of forensic experts to the site of the incident from Patna to ascertain the nature of the explosives found.