New Delhi: After nominating six personalities from different fields to the Rajya Sabha on Friday, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) seventh nominee could be journalist Rajat Sharma, screenwriter Salim Khan or actor Anupam Kher.
As per sources, the government has not been able to draw a common consensus over nominating Salim Khan to the Rajya Sabha. On the other hand, Anupam Kher’s wife Kirron Kher is already a Lok Sabha member. The Bollywood actor, in an interview to Aaj Tak last week had said that he would be happy to be nominated by the President to the Rajya Sabha, but would not like to be a member of any political party. India TV editor in chief Rajat Sharma had in 2004 denied an offer made by the then Vajpayee government, citing his commitment towards launching India TV successfully.
President Pranab Mukherjee nominated the six personalities from different fields to the House of Elders following a recommendation of the Narendra Modi government.
Six personalities nominated to the Rajya Sabha:
- Subramanian Swamy joined the BJP in 2013 with strong backing from the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), despite opposition from a section of the party, including Finance Minister Arun Jaitley. He was one of the petitioners in the 2G spectrum case, which led to the decline of the Congress. He is currently pursuing the National Herald case against Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
- Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu was sulking ever since Arun Jaitley was given a ticket from Amritsar Lok Sabha constituency in the 2014 general elections. After rumours of Sidhu joining the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) came to the fore, BJP President Amit Shah had assured him that the party has not sidelined him. With Assembly elections due in Punjab next year, the BJP nominated him to the Upper House despite opposition from party leaders in Punjab.
- Journalist Swapan Dasgupta was nominated to the Rajya Sabha for using his prowess in building an amicable image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi through the media since 2011.
- Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi was nominated to the Upper House due to his enormous fan following down south. His nomination is expected to go down well with members of his community and help the BJP spread its wings in Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- Narendra Jadhav was a part of the NAC and planning commission in the UPA government, now he is assisting PM Narendra Modi as a policy advisor.
- Indian puglist Mary Kom was named a women icon by the Modi government. A move likely to bolster BJP’s support in the north east. Now, with her nomination, speculations are if she will deliver or will prove incapable. Just like, Sachin Tendular, who unlike on the field, failed to perform in the Rajya Sabha during his 3 year tenure.