New Delhi: An IIT Delhi student from Bengal’s Hooghly district was found hanging in his hostel room early on Friday, three days after he had overdosed on sleeping pills.
IIT officials and students said there had been no indication that Gopal Maloo, 21, a first-year MSc student of chemistry, was depressed before he took the pills.
Two of Gopal’s roommates spotted him hanging from the ceiling fan. He had been discharged from hospital on Thursday after two days of treatment for overdosing on sleeping pills.
Police said Maloo had been admitted to Safdarjung Hospital.”His brother Bachoo Ram had stayed with him and counselled him. The reason for his suicide is being looked into,” the police said in a statement.
His brother had been with him till late on Thursday before returning to his accommodation in Delhi. Two hostel inmates said Maloo kept to himself most of the time.