- Voting for assembly election closed in Jangalmahal.
- 75% voters turnout recorded till 4 PM for first phase of Poll.
- Central Forces lathi charged on women at Salboni’s 230 no booth. The violent people blocked the road against this action.
- The Vote is peacefully done in jangalmahal says Mamata In Malda.
- Central Forces removed State police from booth in Balarampur’s Dumurdighi area.
- 01:00 pm : West Midnapore – 65.45%, Purulia- 61.95%, Bankura- 62.15%. Over all 63.15% voters registered their mandate.
- Situation tense in Piyalshol village, after two factions, one who boycotted polls others who are for the polls, clashes with each other. Huge police force rushed to the area.
- State police personnel seen inside Raghunathpur polling booth influencing voters. No action from Central forces.
- Purulia’s Congress candidate Sudip Mukherjee said that the alliance will score a major victory as Trinamool has lost popularity.
- Trinamool leader Pradeep Ghosh allegedly threatened voters with dire consequences if they don’t vote for TMC.
- Media persons attacked in Salbani, allegedly by TMC workers. Goons snatched camera and allegedly abducted a reporter.
- The EC has so far received more than 200 complaints of rigging, booth capturing and illegal trspassing, although no major violence has been reported so far.
- BJP candidate allegedly threatened by TMC in Nayagram.
- The kidnapped BJP polling agent Rintu kisku found. He was founf injured and admitted to Salbani hospital.
- In Pulrulia’s booth nu-109 and 110, rickshaws and autos bearing flags of Trinamool Congress and Congress are transporting voters, complaint lodged with EC.
- Voting suspended in West Midnapore’s booth nu-278 over aleged EVM manipulation. Reportedly voters complained that two votes got registered for pressing the button once.
- BJP polling agent Rintu Kisku allegdly kidnapped in Shalbani.
- Till 11: 00 am Purulia registers 44.31% voting, Midnapore-48 and Bankura-45.21.
- EC orders Bankura SP not to allow any state police personnel inside the polling booths. Only civil sector officer will be allowed entry.
- Over 190 complaints have been lodged in EC within three and half hours.
- State police personnel allegedly manipulating voters in booth nu-92 in West Midnapore.
- TV footage shows CRPF jawans busy in marketing instead of guarding the polling booths in Banduan’s Chila are.
- EC removes state police personnel from Raghunathr Pachudanga school for trying to intimidate voters in favour of ruling party.
- BJP agent of Booth nu-64 in Shalbani allegedly thrashed by TMC workers.
- West Midnapore: BJP state president Dilip Ghosh casts his vote.
- Allegation of booth capture levelled against TMc at Shalbani. Ruling party goons allegedly tried to capture booth nu-143 and 191. CPM leader filed complaint to EC, however, DM termed the allegations baseless.
- Many pooling booths in Bankura have no cubicle for the EVM, the machines were kept open. Voting has been suspended.
- Trinamool candidate Sukumar Hansda claimed a total victory.
- West bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh said that the party has strengthened organization in Jungalmahal.
- 24% votes casted in West Midnapore, 24% in Bankura and 22% in Purulia till 09: 00 am. Over all 23.4% ballots have been casted
- TV footage captured Trinamool agent dictating voters. More than 1 TMC agent seen inside polling booths.
- Ranibandh CPM candidate Debolina Hembrom alleges that voters are intimidated on way to the polling booths.
- Vote boycott reported in Purulia’s Piyalshol. People boycotted the polling and demanded drinking water facility and construction of proper roads first.
- EC orders the removal of presiding officer of booth nu-239 of Balarampur constituency for intimidating voters in collaboration with TMC polling agent. The EC also sought a report on the matter.
- Polling is so far peaceful in Jungalmahal, said additional election officer Diptendu Sarkar
- So far 56 complaints from 3 districts have been received, 32 complaints from West Midnapore, 5 from Bankura and the rest from Purulia : EC
- CPM accused Trinamool of intimidating voters in booth nu-142 of Para.
- EVM fault reported in West Midnapore’s booth nu-66, 278, 17, 55 voting suspended.
- Alleged TMC workers ransacked BJP camp in West Midnapore’s Kendua area.
- Voting has been suspended at booth nu-278 in West Midnapore owing to EVM fault.
- Polling will continue till 4 PM at 9 assembly seats, 3 in Bankura & 6 in Paschim Medinipur. Till 6 PM in rest of the seats
- Chief Election Officer Sunil Gupta said that so far no violence has been reported, voting is going on peacefully. The EC has taken every step to conduct a free and fair poll.
- BJP lodges complaint to Election Commission that the presiding officers of Nayagram Chandabila booth nu-149 prevented BJP polling agent from entering booth.
- In Purulia EVM machines malfunctioned at three booths.
- Problem in EVM reported at booth nu-286 in West Midnapore. Problems reported from Shalbani also.
- In the first phase, voting is going on 4945 booths across 18 assembly seats. 1962 booths have been identified as sensitive.
- Voting will be held from 7:00 am to 04:00pm.
- First phase of polling begins for 18 Assembly seats in West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia as voters thronged polling booths to decide the fates of 133 candidates..
- A total of 40,04,764 voters will cast ballots across 4,945 polling booths.
- A total of 267 companies of Central forces have been deployed to conduct a free and fair poll.
- Some key contestant are-Sukumar Hansda (TMC), Amiya Patra (CPM), Chunibala Hansda (Jharkhand Party-Naren), Subrata Bhattacharya (Congress), Nepal Mahato (Congress).
- Election commission has opened up control rooms in the three districts to monitor the election. The phone numbers are as follows: CEO control room-1950, Purulia-0325-2229566, Bankura-1800-3453266, West Midnapore-1800-3453267.
Kolkata: The State of West Bengal is all set to go for the first of its six-phase election. Eighteen out of the 294 constituencies will go to polls on Monday in Bankura, East and West Midnapore and Purolia. To conduct free and fair poll 118 companies of Central forces have been deployed in the area.
Election will also be held in four other states-Assam, Tamilnadu, Kerala and Puducherry on April 4.
Out of the 18 Assembly seats, West Midnapore has 6 seats- Nayagram, Gopibhallabhpur, Jhargram, Shalbani, Midnapore and Binpur.
Elections will be held in 3 Assembly seats in Bankura-Ranibandh, Raipur and Taldangra.
In Purulia polls will be held for 9 seats- Banduan, Balarampur, Baghmundi, Jaipur, Purulia, Manbazaar, Kashipur, Para and Raghunathpur. These areas are Mao infested and security has been tightened.
350 companies of Central forces will kept vigil around 200 meters of the polling booths as well as 12, 000 police personnel have also been deployed. Two helicopters will also monitor the situation.
The Election Commission will also help line from 06:00 am on Monday. The help line number is-1950.
Parties and the number of seats they are contesting in:
All India Trinamool Congress
Communist Party of India (Marxist)
13 seats (In alliance with Congress)
All India National Congress
5 seats (In alliance with CPI(M))
Bharatiya Janata Party
Post Saradha scam in which lakhs of investors had been duped and the Narada sting operation, which has purportedly shown some leaders of Trinamool Congress (TMC) accepting bribes, the issue of corruption has evolved as the main poll plank for the Congress-Left Front alliance, apart from “restoration of democracy”.
In the first phase, out of the 133 candidates registered, three are crorepatis and 21 have criminal charges against them.
Here are a few key candidates who are in the fray for the first phase elections:
Dr. Sukumar Hansda
Minister-in-Charge Tribal Affairs Department
Constituency Jhargram, Paschim Medinipur
Movable & immovable Asset Rs. 2, 25, 25460
Cases registered NIL
Minister of Paschimanchal Unnayan [development of western districts]
Constituency Balarampur, Purulia
Movable & immovable Asset Rs. 53, 93, 211
Qualification School Final
Cases registered 11
Communist Party of India (Marxist)
State Secretariat member
Constituency Taldangra, Bankura
Movable & immovable Asset Rs. 59, 55, 055
Cases registered NIL