Howrah: The situation of Belur in Howrah is normal now after the chlorine gas leak incident that happened on Monday. There was no new reports of any such disaster. A day after several people fell ill by inhaling suspected chlorine gas which leaked from a scrap yard in the Belur area of Howrah district of Bengal, police are still looking for leads to identify those responsible for the hazardous leak.
As per source, all who were admitted in the hospital after the incident were discharged from hospital on Monday night. As of now there is no report of any new admission in hospital. But to monitor the condition of the people in that area a medical team is working out.
Chief Health Officer of Howrah district, Dr. Bhabani Das said that everyone who were admitted in hospital after being affected by the gases, had been discharged on Monday night. There is no news of anyone getting sick anymore. One of them, an old who was admitted to Howrah district hospital, was shifted to Kolkata. He had other health problems too. Although the victims of this gas tragedy are discharged from the hospital but a health team is monitoring their situation in that area.
As per report situation is under control now as the district health department team is in the area. On Monday till 4 p.m the number of victims who were admitted in the Jaiswal hospital of Ghusuri were thirty eight including children. Other Twenty five were taken to Belur Shramjibi hospital who were released after checkup. Those who were admitted to the hospital were diagnosed with respiratory problems. Oxygen was given to these patients.
On Monday morning, labourers at the scrap yard complained of severe breathlessness and headaches following which they were rushed to the adjacent TL Jaiswal Hospital. Other than the scarp yard workers, many people in the locality were also affected.
What has raised an alarm among environmentalists is that the leaking gas cylinder was dumped into the Hooghly river, a tributary of the Ganges, by fire brigade officials, who were called in to control the situation.
Efforts are now being made to retrieve the cylinder from the river. The mindless act has raised serious concerns about the danger it poses to aquatic life and bio-diversity in the midst of apprehensions that a large quantity of chlorine gas may have already leaked into the river.
District authorities confirmed that an inquiry has been initiated into whether the industrial unit was operating with a valid no-objection certificate from the state pollution control board.