New Delhi: President Ram Nath Kovind and Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu on Friday condemned the terror attack in Spain`s Barcelona which left at least 14 people dead and over 130 injured.
In a message to King Felipe VI of Spain, the President said, “I am deeply shocked and saddened by the horrific terror attack in Barcelona. India condemns the attack in strongest possible terms. I offer my heartfelt condolences for the victims and wish speedy recovery for those injured”.
Further condemning the attack, President Kovind said that ‘terrorism has posed the gravest threat to humanity today’.
“Terrorism poses the gravest threat to humanity today. Its perpetrators are determined to destroy peace loving communities and peoples. The global community must come together and give them a befitting response. India remains fully committed to work with Spain in defeating these evil forces. I once again express my solidarity with the people of Spain in this difficult hour,” he said.
Meanwhile, Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu also condemned and expressed grief over the terrorist attack in Barcelona.
In a message, the Vice President said that “I am deeply shocked by the terrorist attack in Barcelona, Spain. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those killed and injured.
There can be no justification for such barbaric and reprehensible acts. Terrorism is the biggest menace humanity is facing today with all pluralist and open societies increasingly encountering new levels of threat”.
Naidu further added that, “International terrorism can only be defeated by coordinated global efforts. We stand with the people and Government of Spain and commend their swift action in dealing with the attackers. I join the nation in praying for the bereaved families and early recovery of the injured.”
Earlier in the day, at least 13 persons have been killed and 50 injured after a van crashed into a crowd of people in Barcelona.
Police has confirmed the arrest of one man behind the incident and said they are treating it as a “terrorist attack”.
As per media reports, a Catalan government official has confirmed death of 13 persons in the incident on Twitter.
Political leaders from around the world have begun issuing messages of support.
U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted, “The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!”
Meanwhile, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has confirmed that there is no report of any Indian casualty in the attack. Indians, who are in an emergency, can contact the Indian embassy in Spain at +34-608769335.