Kerala: It is one of the days of shame in the world of Indian Sports. A 15-year-old sportsperson died early on Thursday and three others poisoned themselves at Water Sports Centre of Sports Authority of India in Kerala. They have been hospitalised, after they ate a poisonous fruit in an apparent suicide pact following alleged harassment by seniors.
The girls are suspected to have consumed the fruit, locally called ‘Othalanga’, at around 3 PM yesterday inside the SAI women’s hostel. They were rushed to a hospital around 7 PM after they fainted and later taken to Alapuzha Medical College, where one of them died, police said. The girls were undergoing training at the Water Sports Centre of the SAI at nearby Punnamada.
Relatives of the athletes alleged that the girls were being physically and mentally tortured by some seniors.However, the hostel warden denied the charges and said they came to know about the condition of the girls only when they fainted. “None in the hostel tortured them”, she said.