New Delhi: Top Army officials of Indian Army have Okayed and are in fact keen that the government uses video footage of last week’s surgical strikes on Pakistan any way it wants, so that any doubts and talk about ‘proof’ are laid to rest once and for all, sources said.
Now, the decision rests with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Pakistan has continued to say that no surgical strikes were conducted by India on September 29. Islamabad said the events of September 29 were just routine episodes of cross-border fire.
At home, too, a major political row broke out yesterday with the BJP accusing AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal and the Congress of backing Pakistan’s propaganda by demanding proof of the attacks. That’s a position that casts aspersions on the Indian army, the BJP said.
The BJP lashed out in patriotic anger with law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad accusing Kejriwal of delivering a publicity coup to Pakistan after the Delhi chief minister seemed to have stepped into the minefield with a statement whose congratulatory veneer need only be scratched to understand what he really seeks is proof that the commando action took place.
However, both the Congress and AAP said that while they were not questioning the strikes, they are asking for proof only so the world knows Pakistan is lying.