Ghaziabad: A day after Pakistan demanded an assurance from New Delhi to provide adequate security to their cricket team, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday said that anyone coming to India will be provided adequate security.
“Whosoever will come to India will be secured,” Singh told the media here.
Meanwhile, senior BCCI functionary Rajeev Shukla also said the board takes full responsibility of providing fool proof security to all the teams visiting the nation for the World T20.
Pakistan’s Interior Minister Nisar Ali Khan had earlier asked New Delhi to give the security assurance in writing.
“The Indian Government should give public guarantee of fool proof security to the Pakistan cricket team, if not assured then the team would not be given permission to participate in the World T20,” he said yesterday.
Echoing similar views, Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Shahryar Khan stated that his country’s government is yet to give its approval to the cricket team to travel to India as New Delhi has not yet given assurance on the security front.
On Wednesday, the International Cricket Council decided to shift the venue for the World T20 clash between India and Pakistan on March 19 from Dharamsala to Kolkata’s Eden Park due to security concerns.
The decision was taken after Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh expressed his aversion to the Indo-Pak match in his state after the ex-servicemen and families of slain army officials opposed to stage a match involving Pakistan in the wake of the recent Pathankot attacks. ANI