Another Feather In Bengal’s Cap By World Bank

- Advertisement -

Kolkata: Another feather added in Bengal’s Cap. After the Nirmal Bangla Mission, rural Bengal has seen all-round development on an unmatched scale. Bengal is now a model of the whole country.

The Bengal Government has passed all these strict evaluations and managed the comprehensive evaluation of almost 70 per cent of the GPs in the state.The World Bank has acknowledged that the state has crossed its target for comprehensive development of villages through gram panchayats (GP) in much less time than scheduled.

- Advertisement -

The Integrated Strengthening of Gram Panchayats (ISGP), as the World Bank-financed programme is called, started in Bengal on July 1, 2016, and December 2022 was given a target of completion.

As per the rules of ISGP, 50 per cent of the GPs would have to implement a series of developmental projects during the first year (April 2016 to March 2017), 60 per cent during the second year (2017-18) and 70 per cent during the third year (2018-19).

However, under the able leadership of Mamata Banerjee, and with the proactive participation of all concerned, the state has almost reached the 70 per cent target during the first year itself. Hence, 100 per cent of the GPs would be developed much before 2022.

The total funding by the World Bank amounts to Rs 1,350 crore. During the first year, the Bengal Government received 350 crore. Thus, just 26 per cent of the funds the State Government has ensured the overhauling of the functioning of almost 70 per cent of the GPs. Consequently, the State Government would receive the rest of the funds for the about 30 per cent of the GPs much before the scheduled dates.