After India’s Blitz At LoC, Pak Army Seeks Talks


New Delhi: A day after India accused Pakistan of beheading a soldier in Kashmir and killing two others, top military commanders of both countries have spoken at Pakistan’s request.

A statement from the army said Pakistan asked for the talks. From about 9 am to 4:30 pm, India unleashed a fierce fire assault today across the Line of Control in retaliation for yesterday’s killings. Machine guns and 120 mm heavy mortars were used to target Pakistani army posts.

Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, India’s Director General of Military Operations was told over the hotline by his Pakistani counterpart that civilians had been killed. Lt Gen Singh made it clear that only Pakistani posts which had opened fire on India were being targeted.

“Pak DGMO was exhorted to exercise strict control on their troops to refrain from any nefarious activities. This would lead to return of normalcy along Line of Control,” the army statement said about the talks. India has accused Pakistani soldiers of providing cover to terrorists as they attempt to infiltrate India.

India today also received confirmation that Sartaj Aziz, who functions as Pakistan’s Foreign Minister, will attend a regional conference in Amritsar early next month.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the Heart of Asia conference which focuses in improving security and furthering peace in Afghanistan, which has been mired in conflict since a U.S.-led coalition toppled the Islamist Taliban government in 2001.

“It’s a good opportunity to defuse the tension,” Mr Aziz, who is an adviser to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on foreign affairs, told a local television channel last week.

40 countries are to attend the conference on December 3 and 4, but the focus will be on India and Pakistan, whose relationship has plummeted to an extreme low in recent months with intense cross-border firing and heavy shelling occurring every day in Jammu and Kashmir.

In September, after an army camp in Uri in Kashmir was attacked, leaving 19 soldiers dead, India sent troops across the Line of Control or de facto border in Kashmir to target gathering areas for terrorists. Pakistan denies the cross-border raids or surgical strikes, but the ceasefire declared in 2003 in Jammu and Kashmir is now defunct for all practical purposes.

Yesterday’s beheading of Prabhu Singh in Machil in Kupwara, about 80 kilometres from Srinagar is the second mutilation of an Indian soldier in three weeks by Pakistani troops.