Ghaziabad: Five persons were killed and three critically injured in a fire at an office run in a residential area of Raj Nagar in Ghaziabad today, police said.
The incident took place at 10.30 am when the office of India Mart, located on second floor, caught fire after a blast in the air conditioner caused by short circuit, Ashok Sisodia, Station House Officer or SHO, Kavinagar police station said.
The fire engulfed all the offices situated on the second and third floor of Prime Associate Building, trapping 11 employees in smoke and fire.
Three fire tenders were pressed in to service to douse the fire, the SHO said.
While Puneet Mishra, Chandra Praksh Tyagi, Peeyush Goel, Hemant Pratap and Reteam were declared brought dead by the doctors, the injured were discharged after first aid.
Fire officer RK Yadav and two constables, Ram Gopal and Rishi Pal also fainted during rescue operation.
Taking cognizance of the mishap, District Magistrate Vimal Kumar Sharma ordered an enquiry in the case under City Magistrate Brahm Dev Singh.
“Those responsible for the negligence will not be spared,” the District Magistrate said.