Raipur: As many as 47 Naxals surrendered in insurgency-hit Bastar district on Tuesday citing disappointment with the “hollow” ideology of the outlawed CPI (Maoist). Most of the Ultras are lower-rung cadres and some of them were carrying rewards of varying amounts on their heads.
“The rebels, including 15 women, turned themselves in before senior police and administration officials at Jagdalpur district headquarter,” Bastar Additional Superintendent of Police, Vijay Pandey told PTI.
Of them, Balku Mandavi, who was an active member of Military Company no. 6 of Maoists, was a prominent cadre of the region, the ASP said, adding that Mandavi was carrying a reward of Rs 8 lakh on his head. Besides, Hidme Podiyami, Hidma Madkami and Rani Kawasi, who headed the local frontal outfits of Maoists in the region, were carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh each on their heads, he added.
Rest of the Naxals belonged to different lower-rank squads of the banned outfit, including Jan Militia, Sangham, and Chetna Natya Manch–a cultural wing of the Maoists. They all were active in Katekalyan Area Committee of Maoists under the Darbha division, which has been instrumental in executing several deadly Naxal attacks in south Bastar, including the Jiram valley incident in which a string of Congress leaders were killed, the officer said.
With this surrender, Katekalyan Area Committee, grappling with the dearth of cadres, has suffered a big blow, the ASP said, dubbing it as a major success for Bastar police. “In their statement, they all expressed disappointment with the empty ideology of the outlawed naxal movement and violence. Moreover, they were also impressed with the provisions of surrender and rehabilitation policy of the state government which compelled them to join the mainstream,” the ASP said.
They all will be facilitated as per the surrender and rehabilitation policy, he said. “Notably, a total of 340 Naxals and their supporters have surrendered in Bastar district since December last year,” Pandey added.