Hyderabad: Four people including three sanitary workers were found dead in a manhole on Saturday in Hyderabad’s Madhapur area – the hub of IT companies.
Officials say the workers from Tarnaka in Secunderabad, Srinivas, Satyanarayana, Nagesh and one other died on Saturday evening after getting trapped in the manhole and inhaling poisonous gas in Hyderabad’s upscale area. According to reports, the workers called for help after they were trapped inside the manhole. A cab driver Gangadhar who was passing by, heard the call and rushed to help them but he too got stuck inside the manhole and died.
An employee of 108 Ambulance service, Chandu, who went inside the manhole using a rope also fell ill after inhaling poisonous gas. He was rushed to a hospital with breathing problems. The workers reportedly entered the 25 feet deep manhole without any safety gear. A pedestrian had died in June after falling into a manhole following which the concerned contractor was blacklisted.
Other workers alleged that the sub-contractor used the services of unskilled labourers. They said no minimum precautions were taken, resulting in the loss of four lives. Manholes emit poisonous gases like methane that are often fatal. A case of causing deaths due to negligence has been filed against the sub-contractor. Compensation of Rs. 2.5 lakh was announced for the family of each victim.