2008 Malegaon Blasts: Sadhvi Pragya Granted Bail, Victims To Move SC

0
180

Update: Pragya Singh Thakur to furnish Rs 5 lakh bail amount,2 sureties of same amt,to also submit passport to NIA & appear on dates in trial court. Victims of Malegaon blast case to challenge the bail given to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur in the Supreme Court.

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Tuesday has granted bail to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who is accused to have involved in plotting the September 2008 blasts in Maharashtra’s Malegaon killing 7 people.

Lt. Colonel Purohit, accused of plotting September 2008 blasts in Maharashtra’s Malegaon, denied bail.

Colonel Purohit and Sadhvi have been in jail for the last eight years, though Sadhvi Pragya was moved to a Bhopal hospital recently for medical treatment.

She had moved the High Court after a trial court rejected their bail applications last year.

On September 29, 2008, two bombs fitted on a motorcycle exploded in Malegaon, around 270 km from Mumbai, killing seven people and injuring over 100. Sadhvi Pragya was arrested in October that year and Col Purohit in November.

Read More: 2007 Ajmer Blast: NIA Clears Sadhvi Pragya, 3 Others Of Charges

The National Investigation Agency, which handles terror cases, said in its latest chargesheet filed in May last year that the Maharashtra Anti Terror Squad’s case against Sadhvi Pragya was made using retracted confessions, which cannot be produced in court as evidence and so no case is made out against her in the Malegaon blasts.

She was however denied bail by the Mumbai special court, which questioned the NIA dropping charges against her.

Lt Col Purohit is accused of setting up a group called the Abhinav Bharat, which investigators allege planned and executed the Malegaon blasts. The NIA chargesheet says the officer launched Abhinav Bharat and also flouted service rules and held meetings where he made provocative speeches.

---
---