Kolkata: At least 20 shanties were gutted here after a major fire broke out in the slum area of Duttabad in the eastern suburbs on Sunday morning.
There were no reports of any casualties, a fire brigade official said.
“A fire broke out in the slums of Duttabad near Salt Lake at around 8.55 a.m. on Sunday. At least 20 huts were gutted in the fire. The fire may have originated from a short circuit,” the official added.
The blaze spread fast as a number of gas cylinders from households exploded in the fire, creating panic among the residents. Four fire tenders were pressed into service and the fire was brought under control.
“Residents quickly evacuated the shanties and took an active role in keeping the fire under control. The fire was put out at around 11 a.m. We are assessing damage and losses to property caused by the fire,” Sujit Bose, local MLA and Minister of State for Fire and Emergency Services (IC), said.
“We are compiling a list of affected families, and they will be provided compensation,” he added.