Anakara: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted a shocking and tragic news on Sunday that 2 Indian nationals were killed in the attack at nightclub in Istanbul.
At least 39 people, including at least 15 foreigners, were killed in the attack on a nightclub in Istanbul, Turkey’s interior minister said. A gunman opened fire in Reina nightclub at about 01:30 local time (22:30 GMT), as revellers marked the new year.
At least 69 people were being treated in hospital, four were said to be in a serious condition.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the attackers were trying to “create chaos” and pledged to “fight to the end” against terrorism.
A manhunt for the terrorist is under way. Police have launched operations. Only 21 of the victims had been identified, he said. Fifteen or 16 were foreigners, he said, and at least three of the Turkish victims may have been employees at the club.
Several hours later Sushma Swaraj tweeted that the Indian Ambassador was on his way to Istanbul as 2 Indian Nationals lost their lives in the attack. The deceased Indians are identified as Abis Rizvi son of former Rajya Sabha MP and Khushi Shah from Gujarat.
The tweets by Sushma Swaraj are as follows:
‘I have a bad news from Turkey. We have lost two Indian nationals in the Istanbul attack. Indian Ambassador is on way to Istanbul. The victims are identified as Abis Rizvi son of former Rajya Sabha MP and Khushi Shah from Gujarat. ‘