Lucknow: Two women patients, admitted in the ICU, were burnt alive in a private hospital blaze in Bareilly district of Uttar Pradesh on Monday early morning.
Short-circuit was stated to be the reason behind the fire at Sai Hospital in Bareilly at around 4 am on Monday. The fire, which started from the ICU ward, soon engulfed the hospital leaving patients and their relatives running for their life.
Two women patients trapped in the ICU, identified as Mangla Devi and Rajbala from Badayun district, were charred and choked to death in the fire. Several fire tenders were pressed into the service to douse the flames.
The fire brigade personnel and hospital staff rescued several patients trapped in the fire and shifted them to a district and other private hospitals in the city. Agitated over delay in attending patients caught in the fire, relatives alleged that there were no firefighting system and arrangements in the Sai Hopsital to meet such emergencies.
The hospital administration seems did not learn from a similar incident in the past when a patient had died following a blast in the AC Compressor led to a fire in the hospital. The police have sent the bodies for post-mortem and registered a case against the hospital owner and staff.