Kolkata: Riding on massive mandate, crushing the opposition single handedly Mamata Banerjee on Friday took reign of West Bengal for the second consecutive term.
Here are 15 facts about Mamata Banerjee uoy probably don’t know-
1. Mamata Banerjee has a Bachelor’s degree in History, a Master’s degree in Islamic History and degrees in Education and Law.
2. Banerjee is picky eater and avoids oily and spicy food. Her usual diet consists of puffed rice, tea and chocolates, but she occasionally indulges in deep fried potato fritters called alur chop. She’s careful about staying hydrated during political rallies and while conducting administrative tours.
3.Banerjee walks 5-6 kms on her treadmill every day. After Assembly sessions, she also takes long walks on the Assembly lawns along with her colleagues and journalists. While on tour, she is known to walk for 10kms at a stretch.
4. Banerjee’s preferred outfit – a white cotton saree with a narrow mono-coloured border – has become something of an emblem. These sarees are made at Dhanekhali, a place renowned for its weaving.
5. Banerjee believes in living simply. Her ancestral residence at South Kolkata’s Harish Chatterjee Street is a terracotta-tiled roof house, which gets flooded during heavy rain. She’s often been seen entering her house during the rain using bricks as stepping stones to cross the waterlogged road. Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was quite taken aback when he visited her at her house when she was the Central Railways Minister.
6. Banerjee also loves nature. She visits the Himalayan foothills and the forests of Medinipur whenever she gets time. She loves nature photography as well.
7. Banerjee doesn’t like ugly landscapes. She planned the beautiful Central Park.
8. Banerjee loves music. She introduced Rabindra Sangeet, songs of Tagore, at traffic lights in Kolkata. She also loves songs and poems by the legendary poet Kazi Nazrul Islam.
9. Banerjee often recalls trips to her mother’s house in Birbhum. She remembers playing in paddy fields and collecting the tips of the paddy plant to make a bouquet.
10. Before joining politics full time, Banerjee worked as a stenographer, a primary school teacher, a private tutor and even as a salesgirl.
11. Banerjee never forgets people who help her. Subroto Mukherjee, a former Congressman who was one of the architects of her political career, is now a minister in her government.
12. Banerjee has authored several volumes of poetry, essays and novels. She is also a good painter and has successfully sold many of her paintings and contributed the money to her party.
13. Banerjee is a natural poet. She’s very good at impromptu rhyming and her sarcastic one-liners have often hit opponents hard.
14. Banerjee loves Bengali folk art. She buys local handicrafts when she visits remote rural areas in the state. She carries a bag of change to pay the folk artists.
15. Banerjee is tech savvy and uses social media regularly to post her government’s achievements. She also replies to questions on Facebook. During campaigning for the recent Assembly poll, Banerjee used the Facebook 360 tool to great effect.