Kabul: At least 14 Nepalese security guards were killed on Sunday when a Taliban suicide bomber targeted their minibus in the Afghan capital, a government official said.
Interior Minister spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said that eight others were wounded in the attack, and that police were working to identify the nationalities of the victims.
“The suicide bomber targeted a minibus of security guards of a foreign company, right now we are working to identify the nationalities of the victims,” said Sediqqi. But a police official told The Associated Press that the 14 dead were Nepalese citizens working as security guards for the private company that was attacked.
The official, who did not want to give his name as he was not authorised to speak to the media, said the wounded included four Afghan civilians. Dozens of police and many ambulances rushed to the scene to take the victims to hospitals of the capital. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack. Taliban insurgents have increased their attacks on both government employees and Afghan security forces across the country.
Hours after the minibus explosion that left at least 14 people dead in Kabul, another blast in the city has injured an Afghan lawmaker. The incident took place after a magnetic bomb planted in the vehicle of MP Ataullah Faizani was detonated in Chel Siton area, Khaama Press quoted a security official as saying.
The official added that five others were also wounded in the blast and two of them are in a critical position. No group has so far claimed responsibility behind the second attack, however, the Taliban owned up to the minibus blast. This attack comes in the wake of the death of lawmaker Sher Wali, who was killed in a similar attack in the 5th police district of Kabul city earlier this month. Taliban insurgents have stepped up attacks against the security forces and government officials recently.