New Delhi: Nearly 100 terrorists are being prepped to cross the Line of Control and launch attacks in India, the cabinet committee on security or CCS chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi was informed today with a report by National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, according to sources.
The NSA had briefed the PM and the Home Minister on the information, collected from intelligence agencies, prior to the meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security, which met this morning for the second time since soldiers last week targeted seven terrorist launch pads or staging areas in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir.
The group, which includes the Home, Foreign and Defence Ministers, was told that after India’s action, the Pakistani infantry is protecting launch pads near the Line of Control or de facto border in Jammu and Kashmir. The locations of nearly a dozen launch pads have been identified, said sources at the meeting.
Last week, the army said that “significant casualties” had been caused on the terrorists in Wednesday’s surgical strikes, seen as retaliation for the deadly terror attack on an army camp in Uri last month in which 19 soldiers were killed. Pakistan says the surgical strikes never took place.
Opposition Congress leaders and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal have said proof of the strikes must be shared by the government. Military sources confirmed that footage of the strikes-filmed in part by drones – was submitted last week to PM Modi.
Intelligence agencies and the military are concerned that before winter sets in, covering the passes into India with snow, Pakistan will try to send across a large number of terrorists to launch fresh attacks against security forces and to re-instigate violence in the Kashmir Valley, which saw nearly 90 people killed and at least 10,000 injured in near-daily riots after the killing of terrorist Burhan Wani.